A Wall of Quotes


I'm going to give over this post to my Wall of Quotes. These are scattered quotes that I have in front of me whilst I work. They are words of encouragement, words of wisdom, words of advice and inspiration, as well as laughter. There are words that are old, words that are new, some make me sad, some make me smile, some make me burst out laughing. There are words by the living, and words by the dead, by the famous, and the not so. You don't have to have famous quotes. You don't have to dump "I think it was --- who once said" into conversations. They can be remembered quotes from friends, those who wish you well in life, just as much as those who are famous and admired. To me, they all have equal value and equal comfort, and I treasure them, which is why they are on my wall in front of me, every day.

As to the intermittent visuals, they are also there for a reason. The Mark Rothko because it reminds me of landscapes beyond ours; William Burroughs in the jungle because I have just had the photo for decades; the David Hockney for the same reason; the Buddha head and Gary Snyder because they go so well together, and Gary is so cool; the concentric circle painting by Justin Roseveare, which I picked out of many cards just happened to be called 'Transformation', and that is exactly where my life is at the moment; the Dalai Lama because he's the Dalai Lama; the four leafed clover is my friend and life-changer Stiofan; the mosaic of David Bowie album covers because he set me on the path that finds me here; and the Brian Eno album cover 'Before and After Science' because I adore Eno, and I adore the name of that album.

So, to the quotes:

"Everything is everywhere" - Jack Kerouac

"Okay world, I'll love ya" - Jack Kerouac

"He was sweet. He was just unhappy" - Allen Ginsberg

"Question: Tell us about your dream project.
Answer: Francis Bacon and I go ballroom dancing together in heaven, or hell. Wherever he is I'm sure it's grand" - Andrew Salgado

"He let a corner of his lip turn up, just to be polite. The result was a fourth cousin to a smile" - J. Paul Drew

To "enlighten the world and wake it from its sad mistaken dream of rue and rage" - Jack Kerouac

"Our business in living is to become fluent with the life we are living, and art can help this" - John Cage

"To learn how to explore yourself, that's life" - Bradley Theodore

"All art is unstable. It's meaning is not necessarily that implied by the author. There is no authoritative voice. There are only multiple readings" - David Bowie

"Each second we live is a new and unique moment of the universe, a moment that never was before and will never be again." - Pau Casals

"As cool as the underside of the pillow" - Mr Sakninsh

"You and your wonderful hear/mind/passion writings" - Stiofan O'Ceallaigh

"I'm not painting, I'm exploring my existence" - Bradley Theodore

"One thing that you have that nobody else has, is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can" - Neil Gaiman

"Each of us is all the sums he has not counted" - Thomas Wolfe

"Why do customers say: "Bet you wish you were outside in this weather!" Like yes, obviously I do, but I'm here serving you Barbara, you cow" - The Boy Melancholy


Comments

  1. Some really great words up there John. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stiofan. And of course you get a mention, why wouldn't you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment